Mint Oreo Cupcakes….DO IT!
The original Pin: http://thecakeblog.com/2012/03/recipe-chocolate-mint-oreo-cupcakes.html
When I saw these cupcakes I knew it was time to try out the Duncan Hines Frosting Creations for the first time!
I don’t like to mess with very many flavor extracts so these little packets are the perfect solution for color & flavor!
This is what they look like in the store….Baking Isle next to the icing!
Ingredients to shortcut this recipe:
- One Box of Devil’s food cake (ingredients needed on back of box)
- One Duncan Hines frosting creations container of frosting
- One packet of Duncan Hines Flavor Creations in mint chocolate
- One package of Mint Oreos
- Chocolate syrup (optional….kind of messy and tasted great without it)
Prepare the batter as directed on Devil’s food cake box and line your cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Drop one mint oreo in the bottom of each liner (optional)
Put the cupcake batter directly on top of cookies just like you would normally fill a pan. Don’t worry about the batter getting under the cookie. Another tip I learned a long time ago for getting BIG and evenly sized cupcakes is to use an ice cream scoop to fill them. This does usually make less cupcakes.
Bake as directed and let cool. Then create a dip in the center of the icing container and pour your mint flavor packet in that hole. If you like lighter flavors then don’t use the whole packet just do a little at a time for desired flavor.
Stir well! You can also dump it all into a large bowl to mix it by hand or with mixer.
Now you can frost the cupcakes like normal! (I used a gallon ziplock bag to pipe the frosting on)
This is what the bottom of the cupcakes looked like with the oreo baked underneath
Put an extra Oreo on top to garnish and you can drizzle chocolate for extra nutritional value 😉
Tips & Ideas:
- You may have to break the oreos in half to put on top of cupcake
- use chocolate chips to sprinkle on top
- crumble the oreos to sprinkle on top
- Chocolate sprinkles as an alternative
- You can dye the frosting a deeper green shade if you want
- Mix & Match with other flavors & toppers (ex. bubble gum flavor with a gumball on top)